Wednesday 13 November 2013

My Scribble - WOYWW 232

After beating myself up over last weeks disastrous effort, I thought I'd concentrate on my drawing this week. You know how it goes, scribble a bit then shade until the cows come home. The thing I love about this method is, you shade a bit, then you shade some more, all the while working in one orientation.

You think '...Oh yeah, it's OK..', then put it down and walk away. As you walk back you see it upside down and it seems to have warped into an entirely different piece. People think me a little odd when I tell them to turn their work upside down. I do it often and seven times out of ten I prefer it that way and people think you are really clever when you tell them you drew or painted upside down.

Next I decided to try last weeks tutorial again. With an attack of the lazies, I thought hmmm shortcuts are a really good idea today. So after skipping several steps and adding a little artistic licence of my own I came up with this one. Now, I'm far from convinced it's great but I'm OK with result. Not so in your face and scary. One must remember as a cardmaker I still have my training wheels on, mind you Eliza will front up with a spanner at any moment...LOL love ya GF.

I used Hero Arts Century French Script stamp and clear embossing powder on white card, then Tim Holtz Distress inks over the top to create the background. Other stamps used Penny Black Dreamy, Kaisercraft CS748 and sentiment. 

Moral of the story: A tutorial is great, step by step instructions invaluable, but it is a guide, there are no rules. We all have our own way of doing things, that's what makes our creations unique.

I'm looking forward to jumping over to The Stamping Ground and say hi to Julia

Happy Crafting and Happy WOYWW 232

De De


13 comments:

  1. Hey GF I am going to get the bolt cutters onto those training wheels you don't need them you are just as good as me, you just love my funny humor and giggles that we seem to keep flowing. Love that drawing and nothing wrong with drawing upside down, it works better that way sometimes. LOL

    Great to have you joining us, there are such wonderful ladies from all around the world.

    Happy WOYWW & Happy Crafting
    Eliza & Yoda 2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the idea of seeing you drawing upside down - made a great start to my day! That card is lovely - "L" plates off now!!
    Have a great week.
    Margaret #42

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow your sketching is amazing, what is it or what will it be?
    Bridget #6

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there. Just popping my head round the door to say hi.
    Thanks for the peek into your creative world today.
    Hope you have a good week too.
    Neil#39

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card, we should always remember that tutorials are only a guide. Love the idea of turning a picture upside down! Hugs. Pam#32

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a gorgeous card,DeDe. I will be remembering that design, lol. Your comment about turning work upside down reminded me of advice in a how to draw book I have, I think it's Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain- about working upside down, as that thwarts your brains 'logic' side from interfering with your drawing, as it doesn't recognise the image, so can't 'tell' your hands what they should be doing. Have a great week, Hugs, Shaz #21 xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That HA French script stamp is one of my favorites! Love Distress inks too, so the combo on your cards is lovely! Your sketch is so fun too! (I wish I could draw!) Winnie#69

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sketching is stunning. #13

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Eliza. A trainee card maker you are not! Love love it!
    and the drawing..ohemgeeeee..it looks like a piece of carved marble ... How amazing you are. And I think, how you under rate your skill!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You sure don't need L plates. I can't even get a stamp to come out properly let alone do what you've done there. It's fabulous. I was always scared of the upside down thing but my teacher has been getting me to turn my bird canvas upside down and it does work. I think it's because you don't see it as the object you are doing and just see shapes. I love your sketch, shading makes all the difference.
    Have a great week,
    Von #26

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool sketch! I like to do that to: look from another angle at my drawings... always eye opening ;)
    Jana #67

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know I got to your blog on Wednesday, I don't remember what happened next, I think I left it until the morning to comment, then got doing other things! Your sketch looks anatomical, like an inner ear! The card is beautiful.

    Cazzy x #87

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful card!. I like your sketch, too. Thanks for stopping by my Blog earlier! I am late! ;)

    ReplyDelete